Tuesday, August 29, 2006

No Corner Left Behind...

I'm here tonight to shill! That's right, I'm shilling for of all things a television show. Not just any television show, but one of the greatest pieces of fiction ever created in the English language.

That show is HBO's "The Wire," set to begin its fourth season on Sunday Sept. 10 (or Monday 9/4 with the On Demand feature) As there are very few humans I know who watch this show, as sad as that may be, I encourage all of you heathens who are missng out to run to your local DVD provider and get your hands on the first three seasons of the show. I won't even try to explain it, as there's never been anything like it on television, in the movies, very likely even in poetry or prose. Just do it. Get back to me when you've watched them. Okay, you can finish reading this post first....

I usually don't admonish people for their taste, or lack thereof; people like what they like, even country music, as much as it pains me. But honestly, watch the first 3 or 4 episodes of this show. If you don't like it, you are a buffoon, that's really all I can say. To give you some example of the appeal of the show: any Aint It Cool News readers here? Ever have the misfortune of reading an AICN talkbalk? What's the average # of posts until it turns into a flame war, about 4-6? In a recent story about the upcoming season 4 on AICN, the entire talkback, when last I read at near 100 posts, was universally in agreement on the greatness of this show. Not one idiot on the internet who reads AICN disliked this show! If this isn't some sort of badge of honor in this day and age, I don't know what is.

Further accolade, a quote from Adam Buckman of the New York Post, after having watched review copies of the entirety of the upcming fourth season:
" I am so blown away by this show that I will go out on a limb here to declare that these 13 episodes just might comprise the single finest piece of work ever produced for American TV."

That's all I have to say today. Go watch some of the most rewarding fiction you'll ever encounter. Now.

1 comment:

Hayden said...

You're supposed to tell us about cool new shows when they start and are in their first season!!! *sigh* Anyway, DVD-R is set to tape season 4.